Sunday, April 1, 2012

Morsel of the Day: C. S. Lewis



No April Fool's today. So how about a fairy tale morsel from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe:

My Dear Lucy,

I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.
From C. S. Lewis's letter to his goddaughter Lucy Barfield in the preface to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. I own and love the Chronicles of Narnia and oh how true is this quote from Mr. Lewis himself. I am proud to say I have grown up enough to read fairy tales. Thank you for this blog, it is a pleasure to re-discover my old favorites and new favorites :)

    ReplyDelete