Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Witch-Wife by Edna St. Vincent Millay



Collected Works of Edna St. Vincent Millay


Today's poem is Witch-Wife by Edna St. Vincent Millay. Millay was one of the first poets I felt a connection to as a young reader when I discovered "grown-up" poetry as an adolescent. Her most famous fairy tale related poem is Bluebeard which I will feature next month for a Bluebeard theme. However, this one simply works with a general fairy tale theme so I wanted to share it here. This poem appears in many collections, but I have confirmed it is available in Collected Works of Edna St. Vincent Millay.
Witch-Wife
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

She is neither pink nor pale,
And she never will be all mine;
She learned her hands in a fairy-tale,
And her mouth on a valentine.

She has more hair than she needs;
In the sun 'tis a woe to me!
And her voice is a string of colored beads,
Or steps leading into the sea.

She loves me all that she can,
And her ways to my ways resign;
But she was not made for any man,
And she never will be all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment