Friday, March 11, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Storytime


The Night Before St. Patrick's Day (Reading Railroad) St. Patrick's Day The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever

I've received a few emails recently about my SurLaLune Storytime pages hidden away on the main SurLaLune site. Apparently the area has many fans of its own. The pages are webpages from my personal notebook of the odds and ends I gathered when I presented several storytimes a week as a children's librarian. I haven't updated it very often with new titles, but it is filled with songs and finger plays as well as book suggestions for many, many storytime themes. I had never posted the St. Patrick's Day page so the emails were searching for it since it was missing. This week I programmed it and now it is online.

I found some more books that appear suitable for toddler and preschool, but when I was doing storytimes, I mostly had to stick with a color green theme because most of the books are either too small format for a storytime setting or way too wordy for a young audience. Hooray for St. Patrick's Day! (Lift-the-Flap, Puffin) was fine for toddlers, for example, but it's a small book and was horrible for reading to a group of people.


St. Patrick's Day Countdown Hooray for St. Patrick's Day! (Lift-the-Flap, Puffin) St. Patrick's Day Alphabet

Despite all my best efforts genealogically, I haven't a touch of Irish blood in me although we believe my husband has some way back--most of his family is Pre-Revolutionary War--so we're talking way far back. Still, so many of us enjoy the day who have zero blarney blood. I'm sporting green nail polish this week (well, I do most weeks if it's not blue) and I am already anticipating at least one meal or more of corned beef and cabbage. Believe it or not, my favorite rendition in recent years was at Cracker Barrel where the cabbage was not so overcooked it was disgusting. Besides, my friends and family are not obliged to eat the same dish if we eat out. Apparently, not everyone is a fan of cabbage which I rather adore if it is cooked well. I cook it it in other dishes but prefer not to cook corned beef myself since I don't do it often enough to be competent. Although I am tempted when I see it in the store, I just don't cook a variety of meats often enough. I'm not a vegetarian, but a lot of my cooking imitates one.

St. Patrick's Day in the Morning (Clarion books) A Fine St. Patrick's Day It's St. Patrick's Day (Scholastic Readers)

So here are some books, many of these pictured here are not for preschoolers, as well as the link to the storytime page if you are looking for some inspiration for celebrating the day with a young one or ones next week.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for putting up St. Paddy's Day books. I just ordered some!

    ReplyDelete