Wednesday, January 26, 2011

More Cinderella Ate My Daughter




Unsurprisingly, Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein is making its publicity rounds in media channels. Yesterday ParentDish had an interview with Orenstein about the book. I found one part interesting:

From New Book 'Cinderella Ate My Daughter' Looks at Effect of Girly-Girl Culture by Ted Henderson:

PD: How can an alert parent counteract the cultural influences of things like Disney princesses?
PO: Parenting is always present tense. I wanted to give parents a toddler to tween arch, but these issues are ongoing. You're not going to be able to avoid these images. They're everywhere. You can't walk into a store without being bombarded by them.

And you can't constantly say "no" to your daughter.

That's one of the reasons I called my book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter," which is obviously very overblown and over-the-top. I believe in fighting fun with fun.

In my previous post, I gave the book an overall positive review, so that is not what this post is about. My question is whether anyone here found the title to be "obviously very overblown and over-the-top" and "fighting fun with fun?" Yes, it is humorous but I don't know how many casual shelf browsers will pick up on that especially considering the book blurbing. Hmmmm....

No big deal, but marketing always fascinates me as well as the topic of this book. I have certainly received enough questions and queries on the topic over the years, so I am interested to see how the book sells and what the overall response to it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment