Friday, October 1, 2010

Goldilocks Planet and Baby Bear





Other than the name SurLaLune, it's rare that my love for astronomy gets to combine with my love for fairy tales and folklore.  So this news release tickles many of my fancies:

From Could 'Goldilocks' planet be just right for life? By SETH BORENSTEIN:

Astronomers say they have for the first time spotted a planet beyond our own in what is sometimes called the Goldilocks zone for life: Not too hot, not too cold. Juuuust right.

Not too far from its star, not too close. So it could contain liquid water. The planet itself is neither too big nor too small for the proper surface, gravity and atmosphere.

It's just right. Just like Earth.

"This really is the first Goldilocks planet," said co-discoverer R. Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution of Washington.

The new planet sits smack in the middle of what astronomers refer to as the habitable zone, unlike any of the nearly 500 other planets astronomers have found outside our solar system. And it is in our galactic neighborhood, suggesting that plenty of Earth-like planets circle other stars.
This made me smile this morning for just last night I was discussing with my dad the whole Goldilocks problem with living, usually there's too much or too little of things to bring daily peace in a normal life.  (Our particular conversation was about work load.) He smiled and said, "Yes, I guess we all really want Baby Bear's life, not Papa or Mama Bear's."

If he hadn't been driving the car at the time, I would have had to hug him.  Goldilocks may have called it just right, but she was stealing it all from Baby Bear who has always had my full sympathy.  I wonder if he was ever so innocent and happy again after Goldilocks wreaked her havoc on his happy little life...

That said, expect a little bit more about Goldilocks in the next few weeks, too.  My next Faerie Mag article is about The Three Bears and the Interloper and is either appearing on newstands now or will soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment