Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Russian Nesting Dolls


Red Riding Hood Nesting Doll

Russian matryoshkas otherwise known as nesting dolls have a wonderful history, albeit one that is only about 120 years old. For Europe, that's a short history!

During my fairy tale toy searches, I discovered these gems. They aren't priced for anyone but serious collectors, not really for toys, but I wanted to share these for their beauty alone.


Snow Queen Matryoshka Doll

Read the tale here.


The Firebird (This is one of my favorites.)

Read the tale here.


The Frog Princess Nesting Doll This one was another favorite, perhaps the top one.

Read the tale here.


Masha and The Bear Matryoshka

Read the tale here.


Silver Hoof Russian Nesting Doll (This is one of my favorite designs although I wasn't familiar with the tale.)

Read the tale here.

2 comments:

  1. They're all remarkable, but I'm drawn to Masha and the Bear, perhaps because I just read a different version of the basket story, "Fitcher's Bird," in Jane Yolen's collection of folktales, NOT ONE DAMSEL IN DISTRESS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely. The Firebird and Silver Hoof are particularly gorgeous.

    I never heard of Silver Hoof before and just now read it. It reads like a little Christmas fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete