Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Topsy Turvy Dolls


On this list of things I don't need but admit I always wanted: Fairy Tale Topsy Turvy Dolls.

I didn't play with many dolls as a child--once I learned to read, toys were mostly history--but I had a few favorites. One of the dolls I always wanted was a topsy turvy doll which for some reason I'm starting to see around again.


I didn't go searching for them, but they came up on a related Amazon search. I had to find all of the variations out of curiosity. I really appreciate that none of these are obvious offshoots of the Disney princess images. Sleeping Beauty comes closest, but more out of chance than design from the looks of it.


The only ones I remember as a kid are Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood, obvious choices since they are arguably the most popular tales.


I probably would have put up a bigger campaign for one if I had ever seen the Beauty and the Beast version. I can't explain the fascination because I really AM NOT a doll person. (Puppets, on the other hand, don't get me started on puppets.) I know part of it is the magical element of transforming the dolls. Really, these are a clever way of rendering the characters from fairy tales.


I have a new niece due to arrive in late January and now I wonder if I need one of these for her....


Is anyone else nostalgic for toys they had or didn't have but wanted, especially fairy tale related ones?


The images are all clickable and take you to the Amazon pages for the individual dolls. I have also seen these in "smart" kid toy stores as I call them and a few puppet stores. I don't shop for toys often since all of the children in my life usually receive books as gifts, so they might be available in other places, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment